Sunday, June 05, 2011

Oh English, Stilleth Maketh Me Thy Faithful Servant

A week from now, I'll be processing myself through my veins that I am no longer teaching regular kids at the big school, thus I'll be facing the kids with special needs. How devouring! But yes, I really need to challenge myself facing these beautifully-created kids who has special needs because I know deep down in my heart that they need me. But at the back of my head, I still miss being a full-fledged English teacher; talking to my students how wonderful this language is, and how lovely to speak, write, listen and read English.

What if I didn't pursue my career in Special Education, and this year I'm still part of the regular school? My kapatid left her devotion and they created a hearsay that the best person to substitute her is me. If that could happen, I'll be handling Filipino 2 and 3 (my goodness, in my three years of experience as a teacher, it is my first time to adapt Filipino in my profession!) and grandly, English 4! Wow, that is really remarkable! I'll be teaching the best of world literature! I can't say that I am so much imbibed with literature but I know some accounts. I will be gladly privileged if they will allow me to teach these students about the greatness of the English world, in grammar and in literature.

I was thinking of some teaching methods, strategies, techniques, everything on how will I handle such bright students under my skin. Here are some of the activities that I wish I could do them, but maybe I can have these in my next set of students (pardon me, but these kinds of activities cannot be done with my new loves, the special kids!):

SHORT FILM - In our institution, the celebration of English Week is the first main highlight and most of the students are really into it. If I became the teacher of English in high school, I will be asking third year and fourth year students to do a short film, digitally made and mastered (if they can really do it!), about the theme. They will create their own story based on their understanding, interpretation and abstract. And with it, they will be using any kinds of video camera, from their phones or handycams or anything. They will make a 10-15 minute film and it will be shown at our auditorium. There will be an awarding ceremony and I will give credits for the story, direction, cinematography, editing, acting and of course, the whole film itself. It seems that I'm going to let them experience being a great filmmaker.

WHO'S THIS WRITER - In the English class, especially in high school, reporting in front of the class is one of the main highlights. But I will change the course of reporting. Instead of talking about the story, since literature is the forefront of our class, why not ask the students to report about the writer. His or her students will definitely understand the ideas, purposes, attitudes, achievements and personality of the writer. For example, our topic is about the Sonnets of William Shakespeare. The student will do the reporting about the life of William Shakespeare, and I'll be doing the piece, the way he wrote it and the theories that he used while writing it.

ENGLISH IN THE REAL WORLD - As fourth year students, they might ask me what's in store for them in college and after college. I'll be asking them to do a real scene about the corporate world and how will they use English. First, I'll be letting them to watch some video clips of the people living in a corporate world. Then, we will have some round table discussions about the people who are considered movers and shakers in the community and how do they use the English language in their everyday contact and transactions. Then, it will be followed by a mock portrayal of them. I want them to understand the importance of being proficient in using the English language, not only in school but in the real world.

PROJECT: SUBTITLE - I'll be asking some of my students to choose one Filipino movie (or if they can, a non-English film) and they will do a subtitle to it. I want them to know the science of translation that most of the English speakers would want to comprehend some of our best films.

BOOK REPORT BUT IN A DIFFERENT WAY - It is a passé for some English teachers to ask the students to read a novel and make a novel analysis. But in my class, I would like to make it differently. I will be dividing them into different groups (depending on the number of the students) and I will give them the name of the book, the author and the synopsis of the whole novel. For one quarter, they will divide their novel into chapters or anything they want and they will read their part. And after doing so, they will be get prepped on their so-called defense and the thing called "press conference," and the students, together with yours truly, will ask questions about the novel that they've read. For the novels, I will give them not the classics but contemporary English literature. I want them to know more about the English literature not by means of Shakespeare or Twain or whoever, but the other writers/authors who are so good in writing and telling stories.

MAKE YOUR OWN ENGLISH WORD - Since the inception of such expressions like OMG! and other sorts, I will ask my students to do their own English word that they want to be added in the Webster's Dictionary. They will create an entry from the dictionary (pronunciation, especially in IPA), etymology of the word, sentence usage, even synonym and antonym. Whoever becomes the English Word of the Class will have a very good point as his or her project!

I have so many ideas in my mind but the time tells me it's time for your new career! I'll be very happy with the transition and everything, but of course, you will never ever forget the first love that you had. Me, my first love in teaching is the English language. Thank you for making a true-blooded English fluent speaker! I will be forever your servant, just tell me how and when, guaranteed I'll be coming back to your arms!!!

Thank you to my former professor, Ma'am Neriz Gabelo for telling us that English and its literature are incomparable to any! I'm proud to be your student and your friend!!!

Thank you to my English Coordinator, Ma'am Litta Pineda for telling how good I am in speaking English. Because of you, I am so inspired to do such blogs like this and to inspire my students that English should not be feared!

Thank you also to my former professor, Ma'am Christine Catalan-Tuaño for inspiring me to become an instant grammarian, especially every time my dear friends are asking me for the correct pronunciation, definition and synonym! More importantly, the correct syntax of the sentence!!!

Oh, English, stilleth maketh me thy faithful servant!!!

Toodles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment