Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My Top 10 Favorite Christmas Songs

Few hours from now, we will be celebrating the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ and accompanying his birth are the melodious harks we sing for His honor. Christmas songs can be heard as early as my birthday comes to an end (September 1st, my birthday is on August 31st) and household (just like my brother), malls, radio stations and elsewhere are already played. Not being too excited but it keeps on reminding people that Christmas is just around the corner.

Even though I am considered a music addict, which different genre of music is what I love to hear, I also favor some Christmas songs. These songs remind me that Christmas is not only about giving gifts, exchanging cards and sorts of food but also tell me that Jesus Christ is our savior. Now, may I share with you (if you care?) my ten favorite Christmas songs which I love to listen, and you have heard it somewhere (or maybe you have these songs in your music players, haven't you?). I will not include the interpretation (or meaning) of the lyrics of the Christmas songs I like the most because they only mean one thing, the joyful celebration of Christmas!

SANA NGAYONG PASKO by Sarah Geronimo


Though this song sang first by Ariel Rivera, the rendition of Sarah Geronimo is the best. It seems that when she recorded this, she was crying and wholeheartedly interpreting the song. Maybe others will agree on me but to all Filipino singers who aspired to render this beautiful composition like Jed Maddela, Lea Salonga and the original, Ariel Rivera, I really bet for Sarah's version.

Part that gives me goosebumps - Towards the last part of the song, the final chorus part which sounds like: "Sana ngayong Pasko, ay maalala mo pa rin ako... Hinahanap-hanap pag-ibig mo... At kahit wala ka na, nangangarap at umaasa pa rin ako... Muling makita ka at makasama ka... Sa araw ng Pasko..."


NAKARAANG PASKO by Carol Banawa


Originally sang by Kuh Ledesma with another version by Christian Bautista, this has mixed with a romantic mode while celebrating Christmas. This song reminded me a lot of the movie Miss You Like Crazy with John Lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo. My favorite scene on that movie was when the character of JLC came with the character of Bea doing Christmas shopping at Divisoria. When I went to Divisoria for my own version of Christmas shopping, call me crazy but my background music is this song.

Part that gives me goosebumps - I love the chorus, no doubt: "Isipin ko lang ating nagdaang Pasko... Sapat na ang pagdiriwang... Kapiling ka na tuwing sasapit ang Pasko... Sa tamis ng ating suyuan..." And also the intro part of the song which reminds me of JLC-Bea movie: "Naglalakbay ang aking isip... Hanap ka ng 'yong sintang nagmamahal, nayayanig sa lamig... Naririnig ang dating himig na may lambing sa lilim ng damdaming ito... Sumasamo sa puso mo..." (After this, I will be watching Miss You Like Crazy and good thing I have my own copy!)


KUMUKUTIKUTITAP by Joey Albert


This song reminds me of my childhood Christmas celebration where we go to SM Makati to buy Christmas gifts and decorations at the same time. This song intricately describe and explain how a Christmas tree is decorated with different lights, ribbons, stars, Christmas balls, sash and the star on top of the Christmas tree. Honestly, I prefer the most original version but I can't find it. Whatever it is, whenever I hear this, Christmas is already coming!

Part that gives me goosebumps - Of course who wouldn't love the lyrics something like: "Kumukutikutitap, bumubusibusilak, ganyan ang indak ng mga bumbilya... Kikindat-kindat, kukurap-kurap, pinaglalaruan ang iyong mata..." But for me, I love these lyrics: "Dagdagan mo pa ng kendi, ribbon, esposes at bonita... Habang lalong dumadami, regalo mo'y dagdagan..." I just don't know "esposes" and "bonita," but it tells how exciting celebrating Christmas while decorating your home and your own tree!


MY GROWN-UP CHRISTMAS LIST by Kelly Clarkson


I was already grown-up when I fully understood this beautiful song. It only gives us learning that Christmas is not always about toys, money, clothes and other material things but as simple as peace, joy, hope and love is enough. Numerous singers have performed this classical song but I prefer Kelly Clarkson's version because it is Kelly Clarkson! This song tells us that everyone of us should have our own grown-up Christmas list that we should do.

Part that gives me goosebumps - The chorus which showed it all the true meaning of the song: "No more lives torn apart... That wars would never stop... And time would heal all hearts... And everyone would have a friend... And right would always win... And love would never end... This is my grown-up Christmas list..."


O HOLY NIGHT by Celine Dion


I was in first year high school when a member of the Liceo de San Pedro Glee Club sang this very holy Christmas song. And she gave justice to it. This had been a classical Christmas song written centuries ago but only Celine Dion can belt this beautifully and truly holy. When she sang this live, it was an amazing act that you can only cry after hearing this. This song depicts how truly that night when Jesus Christ was born, a very holy one.

Part that gives me goosebumps - The highest and the most powerful part of the song that really gives me goosebumps: "Fall on your knees, oh hear the angel voices... O night divine... O night when Christ was born... O night divine... O night, o night divine..." But it was only a recent time when I fully heard the song that the second chorus was indeed more powerful than the first: "Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we... Noel... Noel... O night, o night divine..."


MALIGAYANG PASKO AT MANIGONG BAGONG TAON SA INYO by Siakol


I just love the feel of this song though Siakol is known for an underground kind of music. I never thought that they can actually create a beautiful Christmas song which gives us a complete face of a Filipino celebrating Christmas. The title of the song, it is just a greeting but with full of heart and conviction: Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon, which is in English, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Part that gives me goosebumps - This post will be different and since I love this song, I will put the whole lyrics for you to know more:

Naitayo mo na ba ang Christmas tree?
May pang-regalo ka na ba sa inaanak mong marami?
Naisabit mo na ba ang parol?
Sa okasyong ito, di ka na ba magagahol?

At sa pagkakataong ito, kami naman ang babati!
Sana'y maibigan niyong mga kanta, kung maaari
Magpahinga na muna at sumandal lang sandali
Handa na ang aming tambol, gitara at buong barkada

Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!
Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!

Naibili ka na ba na damit na bago?
May aginaldo ka na ba sa ninong at ninang mo?
Gawa na ba ang 'yong tambol na lata?
Sa noche buena ba ay may kasalo kang pamilya?

At sa pagkakataong ito kami naman ang aawit
Bagong matutunan niyong mga batang paslit
Itigil muna ang laro at sa 'min ay lumapit
Handa na ang aming tambol, gitara at buong barkada

Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!
Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!

At sa pagkakataong ito, magsama-sama tayo
Pagmamahal sa kapwa ay ilaganap sa mundo
Sabay-sabay tayong umawit sa diwa ng Pasko
Handa na ang aming tambol, gitara at buong barkada

Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!
Maligayang Pasko at Manigong Bagong Taon sa inyo!


SEASON OF SMILES by Itchyworms


Juggy's Itchyworms' Christmas song that they have composed in 2006 as part of Close-Up's Christmas Album back then. In all of the songs of the album, this is the only original composition. At first when you heard it, you would thought that it is another Itchyworm creation of catchy intro and funny but sapul lyrics. Turns out, it is for the Yuletide season.

Part that gives me goosebumps - The intro part which you will never thought it is a Christmas song. That kind of introductory music is an Itchyworm signature, a fast beat. And of course the chorus; "Every time I see you... I hear there's something that'll make you smile... So kiss me if you want to... Don't you worry if we're apart... I hope this season will be a reason enough to make you smile..."


SHAKE UP CHRISTMAS by Train


I heard this in 2010 which is part of Christmas advertisement of Coca-Cola and again thought they only asked Train to compose a song for them. Well, I made myself incorrect again because this was really Train's song. If you will elaborately listen to the tune, you will hear the slogan tune of Coca-Cola. Last year, when Miss Universe happened in December, Train was invited to perform song for the girls and this was one of their repertoire. The song's message is very simple, we need to shake up, wake up and come with everyone because its Christmastime!

Part that gives me goosebumps - The coda part "I know you're out there... I hear your reindeer... I see the snow there... Your boots have been... I'm gonna show them... So they will know then... Then love will grow and they believe again..." Guess it talks about Santa Claus!


SIMBANG GABI by Lucio San Pedro


This is truly my most favorite Christmas song because of its full of tradition, which only the Philippines have in the whole world. Composed by the National Artist for Music, Maestro Lucio San Pedro, this is always sang during the first night (or dawn) of the Misa de Gallo, everybody knows as Simbang Gabi. Since only the Filipinos celebrate the longest Christmas, the beginning lyrics of the song has ikalabing-anim ng Disyembre or December 16th, hence the start of Filipino Christmas season.

Part that gives me goosebumps - I tried to look for the complete lyrics of the song but I guess it was not allowed to put in the Internet so I would rather not to put any lyrics. The whole song, I say, really gives me goosebumps! Just listen and feel the spirit of Christmas through Simbang Gabi!

But I can't help it, I just love this: "Simbang gabi, simula ng Pasko sa puso ng lahing Pilipino... Siyam na gabi, gumigising sa tugtog ng kampanang walang tigil... Maaga kami kinabukasan, lalakad kaming langkay-langkay... Babatiin ang ninong at ninang ng 'Maligayang Pasko po' at hahalik ng kamay..." Bravo, Maestro San Pedro!


RING CHRISTMAS BELLS by Ray Conniff


This is Ray Conniff's most anticipated Christmas song aside from the Twelve Days of Christmas, Jolly Old St. Nicholas and so much more. For me, this really acknowledges not only the celebration of Christmas by means of generosity, thoughtfulness and happiness but all about the birth of Jesus and making Him the King of all Kings. And when you hear that kind of bell, it is got to be Christmastime!

Part that gives me goosebumps - Though it's a bit fast, the lyrics of the song give me goosebumps because it is about the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ: "Ring Christmas bells, merrily ring, tell all the world Jesus is king... Loudly proclaim with one accord, the happy tale, welcome the Lord... Ring Christmas bells sound far and near, the birthday of Jesus is here... Herald the news to old and young, tell it to all in every tongue..." Let us all ring our Christmas bell proclaiming that the King is already born!


The best way to praise or worship His Mighty Name is by means of songs. These Christmas songs benefit us that the Lord Jesus Christ is given to us to save us from salvation and live with us for everlasting life. For us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be in his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6).

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

Toodles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment