Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Five Churches, One Prayer...

Five churches, one specific prayer...

Allow me to create a theme for my birthday pilgrimage this year. How did I start this? Last year, I was only buying my personal things in Makati when something entered on my mind. I went to SM Megamall just to pray the rosary at the Chapel of the Eucharistic Lord. And then, my mind said, I wanted to do a pilgrimage-like deed, in which in line on my birthday. Last year, I was about to do five churches just to contemplate and if luckily, hear mass, but I only got four.

This year, I really prepared because I might be successful. I chose my five ultimate, favorite churches only located here in Metro Manila, wherein I will say my prayers (by praying the four mysteries of the Rosary) and hearing mass at the last church. I was a bit successful but not quite went okay, but it was really fun.

Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
First, I went to Manila Cathedral. Before I went there, I really, really need to use a restroom just to withdraw something. I tried to use jeepney en route to Manila Cathedral, but I was really shocked when this mode went inside of South Harbor. The journey I took was kind of creepy, but with it, I didn't mind. I took the Anda Circle, and I walked towards Intramuros, plying Palacio del Gobernador, and finally at the cathedral. I went inside of it and I was grandiosely awakened by its holiness. The cathedral is known for being air-conditioned but since there's no special occasion; they only let it closed. The cathedral's ceiling is really high, and the stained glass are gorgeous. The altar was simply adorned with the statue of the Immaculate Concepcion, so happened to be its patron. I said my first set of Rosary, using what is for today, the Sorrowful Mysteries:
          1. The Agony in the Garden of Gethsemani
          2. The Scourging at the Pillar
          3. The Crowning with Thorns
          4. The Carrying of the Cross to Mount Calvary
          5. The Crucifixion and Death of the Lord Jesus Christ
I intended my prayer for my Mom. Her health condition went worse again this past few days because of highly-susceptible condition called stress! As of this writing, she is now super okay! But we already discussed and disclosed that she will now take the leap of undergoing surgery just to get rid of her mass at her left ear.

The altar of San Sebastian Church
San Sebastian Church was my next destination. From the cathedral, I reached the Manila City Hall and went walking through SM City Manila. There were jeepneys in front of it and then I went through. The journey was also the same as what I take whenever I go to St. Jude every Thursday. After loading off from the jeep, I was really happy because the church is open and about to prepare for the mass. I also saw some students doing practices for their sabayang pagbigkas. I went inside of the church, and still, I was a bit astonished! Who would have thought that the church that I visited was a renowned work of Alexandre Gustave Eiffel (think of the Eiffel Tower in Paris). It is the only church in Asia which is made entirely of steel. The looks of the interiors are a bit rusty and spooky, but the elegance of the whole church is indeed glamorous. The feel inside of the church is breezy, thanks to the opened doors at the left side of the church. I said my second set of Rosary, this time, using the Glorious Mysteries.
          1. The Resurrection of the Lord
          2. The Ascension of the Lord into Heaven
          3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles
          4. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven
          5. The Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth
I intended my prayer for my family to withstand the troubles were facing right now. I also asked to make ourselves not only strong but tough. With this, we would surely know our problems will diminished if we will do something and of course, pray.

The huge altar of Santo Domingo Church
I walked from San Sebastian Church to Mendiola to Recto and took a jeepney ride to Morayta and then took a brisk walk to EspaƱa. I saw an FX taxi, with SM Fairview on its front. That's the correct route because I'll be going to my next church, which is also one of my favorite churches, the Santo Domingo Church. When I was in fourth year high school, our school was celebrating 35th anniversary and in line with that, we were gathered to do a pilgrimage in different churches around Metro Manila and nearby provinces. Our first stop during that time was Santo Domingo Church and I may say, it is huge and astonishing. The church may look small outside, but when you get inside, it is like an auditorium or a music hall with numerous pews and large altar in front. I don't understand myself; I came all the way from Muntinlupa just to visit this famous landmark in Quezon City. I was in awe when I entered the church. I was really entering this church, in which I just only saw last Holy Week for the Seven Last Words! I was really moved with it. I said my third set of Rosary, but unfortunately, the church was also conducting one. Still, I go on on my own using the Luminous Mysteries.
          1. The Baptism of Jesus at the Jordan River
          2. The Self-Manifestation at the Wedding at Canaa
          3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God
          4. The Transfiguration of the Lord
          5. The Institution of the Holy Eucharist
Same with the first two, I intended my prayers to my friends who were always supportive, caring and of course, understanding. No more words can describe my friendship to them, and their friendship to me!

The altar of the Shrine of Our Lady of EDSA
My fourth favorite church in the metro was I think, the smallest I have ever seen, and yet very modernist in structure and design. This is also the venue for another important occasion in the country, the EDSA Shrine. But getting there is really challenging, well that's the part of pilgrimage. I used the MRT and took Ortigas station. From the station, I walked for at least 10 minutes to the said church. It was a bit tiring and also polluted, but I was really guaranteed with the church. It is air-conditioned, small, dimmed yet the ambiance was peaceful and calming. I was really worried because it was already 6:30 in the evening , I might not catch the mass for the last church. Still, I continued my praying. I used the Joyful Mysteries, making it like a living rosary.
          1. The Annunciation of Angel Gabriel to Mary
          2. The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary to her cousin Elizabeth
          3. The Birth of our Lord
          4. The Presentation of the Child Jesus at the Temple
          5. The Finding of the Child Jesus at the Temple
I intended my prayer for myself. I need to love myself more than anyone. I need to think first about myself, for my own good and probably it will done to others. My only dire wish for my birthday is to have not only good but the best health, best wealth and best peace of mind.

The closed Chapel of the Eucharistic Lord at Megamall
I was a bit of disappointed because the fifth and last church that I've visited was already closed. The mass was already ended so the people from the Chapel of the Eucharistic Lord in SM Megamall needs to close the whole church. What is so special with this church? Aside from its location which is on the 5th floor of the Mega Atrium, it was also gained its popularity through the mall-goers. I never attended the mass, so I just went inside of their another spectacle, the Adoration Chapel. The smaller chapel can also fit many devotees and it can also be the venue for some mass. But again, for my part, it would not be pushed through because it was finished. I just contemplated and said my gratifying words to Him for giving me a wonderful life. I also said my wish, but I cannot share it to you or else, it might not granted.

Five churches, one prayer! How I wish my prayers would be granted. But it should not be like that. You are praying because you are talking to Him. And that's what I did today, I wanted to thank Him for giving me another year of extravagance. I do hope we could withstand the trials were facing nearly to our heads. I'm not asking for a return for what I did, but it is really a heartfelt joy for doing it so.

It did not finish successfully because of time, but it was fruitful and of course, successful. I'm surely doing this a day before my birthday (I don't care if there will be classes or work). If I could visit more than five churches, why not! All because of Him, that's why I'm doing this!

Why don't you do this too?

Toodles!!!

Sorry for the pictures. It's blurred because I only used a camera phone.


Advanced happy birthday to me!!!

☺☺☺

No comments:

Post a Comment